Miller masters drying FP1; EG 0,0 Marc VDS rider in a class of his own for much of first practice
Jack Miller (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) showed more of the wet weather prowess that took him to his premier class GP win in FP1 at Le Mans, fast in wet conditions at the start before gambling on slicks and mastering the tricky track to take to the top. Reigning Champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) was P2, over 1.2 seconds back on the Queenslander, with home hero Johann Zarco (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) in third.
Bradley Smith (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) had his first top ten finish to a session on the KTM in seventh, with Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati Team) showing impressive pace in the wet early part of the session as the early competitor to Miller’s dominion.
The top ten:
1. Jack Miller (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) 1:37.467
2. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) +1.288
3. Johann Zarco (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) +1.781
4. Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) +2.140
5. Loris Baz (Reale Avintia Racing) +2.960
6. Karel Abraham (Pull&Bear Aspar Team) +3.061
7. Bradley Smith (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) +3.350
8. Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) +3.427
9. Alvaro Bautista (Pull&Bear Aspar Team) +3.557
10. Maverick Viñales (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) +3.840